Arctic Blog

Daily updates on what the fork I'm up to and also the news I see fit to report.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Recipe

I'm a chef after all, how could I not post a few recipes for some of my favorite, yet surprisingly simple, foods?

Xinjiang Style lamb kebabs
The semi-autonomous province of NW China is populated largely by Uighurs who are originally of Turkish descent and are Muslim. As such they don't use pork which is highly prevalent in typical Chinese cooking.
This "recipe" is not very specific in proportions because when I made it I was trying to emulate the flavor of the lamb kebabs I bought from street vendors while I was in China. So more or less adjust to taste.

Lamb meat cut into relatively small cubes, about 1/2 inch (I use leg because its relatively inexpensive and still rather tender)

Spice mix (like I said its not exactly specific amounts, just make enough to coat the meat)
1 part Salt
1 part Black Pepper
1 part Rosemary ground
3 parts Cayenne Pepper
5 parts Cumin

Mix spices together, skewer the lamb cubes. Cook on a hot grill, rotate every 20-30 seconds. Sprinkle the spices over the lamb after about 1 minute of cooking, make sure to coat it. The skewers should only take 2-3 minutes to cook completely. Very flavorful, very hot. This is about as close as I could get to the real thing, eat them and think of the other faces of China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home