Arctic Blog

Daily updates on what the fork I'm up to and also the news I see fit to report.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

This is today...

Today we worked with puff pastry, that we have spent the last day or two fabricating. It surprisingly is even more fatty then a croissant. It uses the same amount of butter but less flour. It is not hard, it is just time, and space, consuming. Today I rolled out my pastries, so they would be able to bake, fortunately I didn’t have any mishaps like with yesterday’s tarts. I decided to cut my pastries into an even number of long strips. This allowed me to fill said strips with some other food content and make a sort of “pie.” I cut an even number of strips of pastry, from each I made a bottom, (the one the filling rested on,) and a top, (the one the covered the bottom and the contents.) The top strip had to be about 15-20% larger then the bottom strip, so it could cover the filling and attach to the bottom. In order to make the top piece and bottom piece adhere, I used some whisked egg on the edges. I then filled the puff pastries with wild caught salmon, and with mushrooms, that I sauteed in a manner similar to the “steak diane” recipe I gave below. I personally liked them, but the rest of the deal is up to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home